Harassing Assistant Attorney General Denied His Old Job
BY Michelle Garcia
March 28 2012 7:42 PM ET UPDATED: August 17 2012 2:44 PM ET
Michigan's former assistant attorney general won't be able to return to his job after being fired for allegedly harassing the openly gay student government president at the University of Michigan.
Andrew Shirvell filed a formal complaint with the Michigan Civil Service Commission after he was fired in 2010 but it's been denied. Shirvell, a University of Michigan alum, had launched a blog targeting Chris Armstrong, who was the first openly gay student government president. Mike Cox, who was Shirvell's boss and attorney general at the time, ordered his assistant to stop the harassment. Then Cox reneged on his ultimatum and said Shirvell simply could not tend to his anti-Armstrong website during work hours or use his official title on the blog.
Shirvell was eventually fired, though, after the attorney general's office received more than 22,000 outraged phone calls demanding his termination.
William Hutchens of the Michigan Civil Service Commission said Shirvell had made a "media spectacle" of himself and was properly dismissed from his job after exercising hate speech on the blog about Armstrong, the Detroit Free Press reports.
Hutchens also testified that the blog presented "an overwhelming case to terminate Mr. Shirvell. It outlined escalating behavior. It outlined behavior separate from the blog that dealt with not only his behavior in the workplace, but also his behavior outside the workplace, some of which I would call minimally misdemeanant criminal, meaning stalking... there were a number of incidents where Mr. Shirvell was inviting a civil lawsuit."
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 35 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM