Seattle Gay Man Sends 2,000 Messages to Conservative Voters
BY Neal Broverman
April 02 2012 2:40 PM ET
As a ballot initiative effort is set to launch in Washington State that could rescind marriage rights there, a gay Seattle man is personally reaching out to past opponents of LGBT equality.
Paul Thomasson is taking advantage of a Supreme Court decision that allows the identities of petition signers to be released to the public. Thomasson is combing through the records for R-71, a failed initiative attempt to overturn the state's domestic partnership law, so he can find out who supported it. In hopes of changing these individuals' minds about R-74, this year's initiative to overturn marriage equality in Washington, Thomasson emailed about 2,000 supporters of R-71.
"I can't know what motivated you to sign the petition for R-71, but I sincerely hope and pray that you will not sign the petition for R-74," he wrote.
While many R-71 supporters said they did not want their identities released because of fear they would be harassed, Thomasson's emails have been the only known contact to the petition signers. By all accounts, Thomasson's email is not threatening; instead he's trying a gentle tactic of persuasion.
"People are basically good and tolerant," Thomasson tells The Seattle Times. "My intent was to let them know there's an actual human being affected by their decision."
Thomasson, who identifies as Republican, was kicked out of the Navy during "don't ask, don't tell" and now works in human resources at Boeing. Read more here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 1 hour 49 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 2 hours 50 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM