Gay Student Booted From Contest Gets Apology
BY Trudy Ring
April 05 2012 2:10 PM ET
A Southern California high school administrator has apologized for removing a student from a campus contest because the student mentioned wanting to marry a same-sex spouse.
The Fullerton Union High School student, who has not been identified by media because he is a minor, was competing in the school’s Mr. Fullerton contest, “an annual, semi-humorous event” for male seniors, notes The Orange County Register. Contestants took the stage Tuesday night to answer questions, one of which concerned where they hoped to be in 10 years.
After first answering that he wanted to be a successful entertainer, the student in question said he hoped to find the love of his life and be able to legally marry him in California. Assistant principal Joe Abell then removed him from the stage and the competition.
By Wednesday morning, students were distributing letters of support for the student and calling on Abell to apologize, which he did privately with the student and then to all students and staff over the school’s public address system.
Superintendent George Giokaris also said Abell should not have removed the student from the contest, the Register reports. He declined to discuss other potential disciplinary actions, saying personnel matters were confidential.
The students who protested Abell’s action are also asking for school policy to include clear prohibitions on bullying based on actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity, news site Voice of OC reports. Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM