Gay Student Booted From Contest Gets Apology
BY Trudy Ring
April 05 2012 2:10 PM ET
A Southern California high school administrator has apologized for removing a student from a campus contest because the student mentioned wanting to marry a same-sex spouse.
The Fullerton Union High School student, who has not been identified by media because he is a minor, was competing in the school’s Mr. Fullerton contest, “an annual, semi-humorous event” for male seniors, notes The Orange County Register. Contestants took the stage Tuesday night to answer questions, one of which concerned where they hoped to be in 10 years.
After first answering that he wanted to be a successful entertainer, the student in question said he hoped to find the love of his life and be able to legally marry him in California. Assistant principal Joe Abell then removed him from the stage and the competition.
By Wednesday morning, students were distributing letters of support for the student and calling on Abell to apologize, which he did privately with the student and then to all students and staff over the school’s public address system.
Superintendent George Giokaris also said Abell should not have removed the student from the contest, the Register reports. He declined to discuss other potential disciplinary actions, saying personnel matters were confidential.
The students who protested Abell’s action are also asking for school policy to include clear prohibitions on bullying based on actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity, news site Voice of OC reports. Read more here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 36 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM