Buenos Aires Positioned to Become Gay Wedding Destination?
April 07 2012 10:11 AM ET
Nearly two years after Argentina became the first Latin American country to legalize marriage equality, Buenos Aires, the nation’s capital, may extend the right to visiting couples from abroad.
As San Diego Gay & Lesbian News’ South American correspondent reported Friday, a city lawmaker recently introduced legislation to allow couples to marry in Buenos Aires without proof of residency.
The legislation, which if passed would likely be a boon for the city’s LGBT tourism industry, comes soon after the first foreign gay couple married in the city of Rosario, which is located about 200 miles northwest of Buenos Aires and has no residency requirement for marriage.
In the summer of 2010, Argentinian lawmakers approved a same-sex marriage measure, one that was politically popular in the nation and vigorously supported by President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, who called the Roman Catholic Church’s oppositional rhetoric akin to something from “the times of the Crusades.”
A few years prior, in a 2008 meeting with Argentina's ambassador to the Vatican, Pope Benedict XVI had urged the country to uphold "the defense of the family based on marriage between a man and a woman" and said that the definition of marriage should not be "at the mercy of political agreements."
But Kirchner fired back, saying of the church in 2010, “It would be a terrible distortion of democracy if they denied minorities their rights."
In Buenos Aires, city lawmaker María Rachid’s bill proposes that a non-resident couple seeking to be married would need only present a photocopied passport with entry stamp, among other minimal requirements. (Read the report here.)
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- Comedy | Advocate.com
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM