Tenn. Is Worried About "Gateway Sexual Activity"
BY Neal Broverman
April 09 2012 3:25 PM ET
Tennessee teaches abstinence-only sex education in its schools, and its Senate now wants to warn students about "gateway sexual activity" that can supposedly lead to sex.
The Senate Thursday passed a bill 28-1 that would add warnings about "gateway sexual activity" to the school curriculum. The legislation never makes clear what constitutes "gateway" activity, whether it be kissing or wrestling. A companion bill in the state House is expected to pass.
Meanwhile, some Tennesseans are trying to stop another bill, passed by the legislature and ready for Gov. Bill Haslam's signature, that would "encourage classroom debates over evolution and protects teachers who discuss alternative theories." Read more here.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 min 1 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM