Tenn. Is Worried About "Gateway Sexual Activity"
BY Neal Broverman
April 09 2012 2:25 PM ET
Tennessee teaches abstinence-only sex education in its schools, and its Senate now wants to warn students about "gateway sexual activity" that can supposedly lead to sex.
The Senate Thursday passed a bill 28-1 that would add warnings about "gateway sexual activity" to the school curriculum. The legislation never makes clear what constitutes "gateway" activity, whether it be kissing or wrestling. A companion bill in the state House is expected to pass.
Meanwhile, some Tennesseans are trying to stop another bill, passed by the legislature and ready for Gov. Bill Haslam's signature, that would "encourage classroom debates over evolution and protects teachers who discuss alternative theories." Read more here.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 2 min 47 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 5 min 22 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 13 min 30 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 32 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 38 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 44 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 1 hour 45 min ago