Election Results Are In: How Did LGBT Candidates Fare?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 09 2011 4:03 PM ET
Hero Scores a Victory
Daniel Hernandez, the gay intern who helped save the life of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords when she was attacked by a gunman in Arizona, was widely encouraged to pursue a career in public service. And now he's won his first election.
Hernandez was elected to the Sunnyside Unified School District's governing board in Arizona with more than 60% of the vote, according to Arizona Public Media.
It was only Hernandez's first week on the job when a gunman went on a deadly shooting spree during an outdoor event with voters. Hernandez became one of the story's heroes, praised by President Obama himself, for loyally attending to Giffords, who had been shot in the head. — Lucas Grindley
- See Where the Nation Stands On Marriage Equality — In One Graphic
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The Advocate's News Editor on Bruce Jenner, Her Own Transition
- Obama Cracks Marriage Equality Jokes at White House Correspondent's Dinner