In Memoriam: 2011's Transgender Murder Victims
BY Neal Broverman
November 18 2011 2:00 PM ET
On one hand, it seems inconceivable that we need such a thing as Transgender Day of Remembrance, which memorializes those murdered for their gender identity and takes place for the 13th year this Sunday. But when you have publications like the New York Post refer to Chaz Bono as a "she-man," as it did this week, you can see where some of the intense hate directed at transgender people is born. This devaluation of their lives translates to death every year for many transgender men and women, and 2011 was no different. Here are eight of the approximately 221 transgender people murdered this year, as compiled by Ethan St. Pierre for TransgenderDOR.org.
Bates, 45, was strangled and stabbed in her Minneapolis apartment in January. Her boyfriend, Arnold Darwin Waukazo, is the prime suspect; his trial began this month. Bates had recently moved from Kentucky to Minneapolis to start a new life.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM