In Memoriam: 2011's Transgender Murder Victims
BY Neal Broverman
November 18 2011 2:00 PM ET
On one hand, it seems inconceivable that we need such a thing as Transgender Day of Remembrance, which memorializes those murdered for their gender identity and takes place for the 13th year this Sunday. But when you have publications like the New York Post refer to Chaz Bono as a "she-man," as it did this week, you can see where some of the intense hate directed at transgender people is born. This devaluation of their lives translates to death every year for many transgender men and women, and 2011 was no different. Here are eight of the approximately 221 transgender people murdered this year, as compiled by Ethan St. Pierre for TransgenderDOR.org.
Bates, 45, was strangled and stabbed in her Minneapolis apartment in January. Her boyfriend, Arnold Darwin Waukazo, is the prime suspect; his trial began this month. Bates had recently moved from Kentucky to Minneapolis to start a new life.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM