In Memoriam: 2011's Transgender Murder Victims
BY Neal Broverman
November 18 2011 3:00 PM ET
On one hand, it seems inconceivable that we need such a thing as Transgender Day of Remembrance, which memorializes those murdered for their gender identity and takes place for the 13th year this Sunday. But when you have publications like the New York Post refer to Chaz Bono as a "she-man," as it did this week, you can see where some of the intense hate directed at transgender people is born. This devaluation of their lives translates to death every year for many transgender men and women, and 2011 was no different. Here are eight of the approximately 221 transgender people murdered this year, as compiled by Ethan St. Pierre for TransgenderDOR.org.
Bates, 45, was strangled and stabbed in her Minneapolis apartment in January. Her boyfriend, Arnold Darwin Waukazo, is the prime suspect; his trial began this month. Bates had recently moved from Kentucky to Minneapolis to start a new life.
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 44 min 52 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 53 min 3 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 56 min 40 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 1 hour 11 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 19 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM