I Advocate: A Few of Andrew's Favorite Things...
December 02 2011 9:00 AM ET
… International Bird Rescue
In 2006, I signed up to volunteer for this California-based group after reading about their efforts to save seabirds oiled as a result of a local spill. Though I had imagined the extent of my wildlife interaction would be feeding and cage cleaning, within weeks I had learned how to draw blood from a pelican and how tube feed a western grebe. Not exactly resume builders for an LGBT issues writer, but transformative experiences nonetheless.
International Bird Rescue, for which I am now proud to serve as a board member, co-managed oiled bird response operations during the 2010 Gulf oil spill and continues to work around the world on behalf of injured animals. bird-rescue.org
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- More Celebs Tweet Off on Indiana
- An Open Letter from a Transgender Rabbi to Trans Teens Everywhere
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV (Video)
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation