Australian Footballers March in Melbourne Pride Parade
BY Neal Broverman
February 04 2013 5:54 PM ET
Players from two of Australia's professional football teams marched in Sunday's St. Kilda pride parade in Melbourne.
Brock McLean of the Carlton team and Daniel Jackson of Richmond participated in the event; McLean says he was prompted to take part after his sister came out. Also part of the parade was out amateur footballer Jason Ball.
"I don't know if [McLean] would be aware how many lives he has touched and changed in the process of taking the stand he has done," Ball said. "He's not only a role model for the gay community but also for people who are straight because I think he's sort of given permission for straight people to get on board."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Is the 'Not Gay No More' Guy for Real?
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Hagel's Exit Leaves Unfinished Business For LGBT Military Members, Advocates
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School