British Activist Compares Suffering of Gays to Crucifixion of Christ
BY Neal Broverman
March 04 2013 1:36 PM ET
Benjamin Cohen, the founder of Pink News, said the persecution of LGBT people is comparable to the crucifixion of Christ during a BBC program focusing on Easter and Lent.
Cohen's statements were part of an upcoming BBC special on Easter and Lent that featured religious and cultural leaders discussing Easter and Lent. Cohen, raised an Orthodox Jew, said his childhood religion put him through hell.
"But do people of faith really want to reject their children for something which I believe they can't help?," Cohen asked on the show. "Just as, the Jewish authorities rejected Christ — for something he considered he couldn't help — being the son of God."
Cohen insisted gay people can not change their sexual orientation. "How different a situation is this to the questions and ultimatums given by some parents and some faiths to young gay people? Could Jesus have escaped his crucifixion by denying who he believed he really was?"
Another panelist, conservative Andrea Williams, called Cohen's statements "blasphemous."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! 8 min 13 sec ago
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 32 min 20 sec ago
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 53 min 44 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 1 hour 11 min ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 1 hour 32 min ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 1 hour 50 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 2 hours 5 min ago