Gay Filmmaker Detained in Egypt, Launches Hunger Strike
BY Michelle Garcia
September 21 2013 11:59 AM ET
A gay filmmaker who has been imprisoned in Egypt, seemingly without cause, has been on a hunger strike since September 16.
Canadian filmmaker John Greyson, along with Tarek Loubani M.D., were arrested August 16. A month into their detention, the pair have begun refusing food to protest the arbitrary nature of their detention by Egyptian authorities.
“We can only imagine the anguish that John and Tarek feel after realizing that their detention could be extended for so long in what can only be described as an arbitrary process that lacks any credibility,” Cecilia Greyson, Jonathan Greyson's sister, said in a statement last week. “We know that they did not take the decision to begin a hunger strike lightly, and we want them to know we will do everything we can to support them and get them home soon,” she added.
In addition to actress Sarah Polley and directors Atom Egoyan and Alex Gibney speaking out on their behalf at the Toronto Film Festival, an online petition to release the two have the backing of 115,000 people including Ben Affleck, and Charlize Theron.
Greyson was heralded for his 1996 film Lillies, and has directed episodes of shows like Queer as Folk and Paradise Falls.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM