New Accusation of Cover-Up of Gay Affairs Leveled Against Charlie Crist
BY Lucas Grindley
June 12 2012 5:32 PM ET
A Florida Republican Party leader under criminal investigation has a new charge of his own against former governor Charlie Crist — that he gave his chief of staff a job as U.S. senator to cover up gay affairs.
WTSP investigative reporter Mike Deeson reports that Jim Greer, the former Republican Party chairman in Florida who is under investigation for what amounts to theft, says he was dispatched to tell George LeMieux that he didn't get the job. The governor had been tasked by law with picking a replacement for Sen. Mel Martinez who resigned his seat in the Senate, and he reportedly had a long list of good contenders (some who say they were told they had the job).
Then Greer says LeMieux, a former chief of staff during Crist's campaign for governor, suddenly got a meeting with Crist and was named senator minutes later.
What's added heft to Greer's accusation is the Tampa Bay Times reporting that Connie Mack, the congressman challenging LeMieux in a primary, has sent a letter to the U.S. Department of Justice asking for an investigation into how his opponent became an incumbent in the first place.
Greer is the same person who has accused Crist of paying two men to leave the state so as not to embarrass the governor if gay affairs were exposed. And, he says Crist once tried to kiss him.
Greer's legal team wants Crist to change testimony he gave that damages Greer in the criminal investigation. Crist, who has been married to Carole Rome since 2008, was the central subject of an HBO documentary called Outrage, which premiered on the network in 2009 and examined the private lives and public votes of what it said are closeted politicians.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM