Millionaire Gives $800,000 Donation to Victory Institute
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 11 2012 3:40 PM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Victory Institute just got a hefty boost today, according to Towleroad, from millionaire entrepreneur David Bohnett who gave the Institute $800,000. The blog reports that the donation from Bohnett's eponymous fund will help the Institute continue its work training and preparing LGBT Americans for public office through their David Bohnett LGBT Leadership Fellows program . Previously the Institute has assisted several of the country’s top LGBT political talents, including Houston Mayor Annise Parker, Dallas Sheriff Lupe Valdez, and New York State Sen. Tom Duane.
"So much is at stake for the next wave of LGBT leaders, and the Leadership Fellows program reflects this pivotal period," said Bohnett. "It empowers LGBT leaders who are making a difference in the world — it hones their skills and furthers their leadership potential."
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- Jenny Boylan Tells Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Be a Stupid' Woman
- Ellen DeGeneres and Gap Launch New Clothing Line for Girls That Challenges Stereotypes
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- The Log Cabin Republicans' Uncertain Future