Millionaire Gives $800,000 Donation to Victory Institute
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 11 2012 3:40 PM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Victory Institute just got a hefty boost today, according to Towleroad, from millionaire entrepreneur David Bohnett who gave the Institute $800,000. The blog reports that the donation from Bohnett's eponymous fund will help the Institute continue its work training and preparing LGBT Americans for public office through their David Bohnett LGBT Leadership Fellows program . Previously the Institute has assisted several of the country’s top LGBT political talents, including Houston Mayor Annise Parker, Dallas Sheriff Lupe Valdez, and New York State Sen. Tom Duane.
"So much is at stake for the next wave of LGBT leaders, and the Leadership Fellows program reflects this pivotal period," said Bohnett. "It empowers LGBT leaders who are making a difference in the world — it hones their skills and furthers their leadership potential."
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- In the Galleries: Are We Different?
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News