Millionaire Gives $800,000 Donation to Victory Institute
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 11 2012 3:40 PM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Victory Institute just got a hefty boost today, according to Towleroad, from millionaire entrepreneur David Bohnett who gave the Institute $800,000. The blog reports that the donation from Bohnett's eponymous fund will help the Institute continue its work training and preparing LGBT Americans for public office through their David Bohnett LGBT Leadership Fellows program . Previously the Institute has assisted several of the country’s top LGBT political talents, including Houston Mayor Annise Parker, Dallas Sheriff Lupe Valdez, and New York State Sen. Tom Duane.
"So much is at stake for the next wave of LGBT leaders, and the Leadership Fellows program reflects this pivotal period," said Bohnett. "It empowers LGBT leaders who are making a difference in the world — it hones their skills and furthers their leadership potential."
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island