Millionaire Gives $800,000 Donation to Victory Institute
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 11 2012 3:40 PM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Victory Institute just got a hefty boost today, according to Towleroad, from millionaire entrepreneur David Bohnett who gave the Institute $800,000. The blog reports that the donation from Bohnett's eponymous fund will help the Institute continue its work training and preparing LGBT Americans for public office through their David Bohnett LGBT Leadership Fellows program . Previously the Institute has assisted several of the country’s top LGBT political talents, including Houston Mayor Annise Parker, Dallas Sheriff Lupe Valdez, and New York State Sen. Tom Duane.
"So much is at stake for the next wave of LGBT leaders, and the Leadership Fellows program reflects this pivotal period," said Bohnett. "It empowers LGBT leaders who are making a difference in the world — it hones their skills and furthers their leadership potential."
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: S.C. Senator Uses Confederate Flag Debate to Deliver Antigay Rant
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Meet the First Trans Pastor Officially Ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church