Minnesota Dems Turn Against Lawmaker Who Hooked Up With 17-Year-Old
BY Neal Broverman
August 20 2012 6:16 PM ET
Minnesota legislator Kerry Gauthier endangered his party's chances of regaining control of the state House after news broke that he had hooked up with a 17-year-old boy.
The two were introduced through Craigslist and met up at a rest stop last month. The teenager later told police he had oral sex with Gauthier, a 56-year-old unmarried state politician representing the Duluth area. Gauthier's fellow Democrats are now calling on him to drop his reelection bid, even though a Republican win could endanger the chances of Democrats regaining the lower house of Minnesota's legislature.
"As I shared with Rep. Gauthier, I believe he should withdraw from the race for reelection," House minority leader Paul Thissen said in a statement.
Gauthier will not be charged with a crime, as the boy was over the age of consent. The politician has not spoken publicly about the incident but was recently hospitalized with an undisclosed illness.
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- The 13 Biggest Trolls in Media
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: CIA Contractor Details Antigay Harassment by Colleagues in War Zone
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding