Minnesota Dems Turn Against Lawmaker Who Hooked Up With 17-Year-Old
BY Neal Broverman
August 20 2012 6:16 PM ET
Minnesota legislator Kerry Gauthier endangered his party's chances of regaining control of the state House after news broke that he had hooked up with a 17-year-old boy.
The two were introduced through Craigslist and met up at a rest stop last month. The teenager later told police he had oral sex with Gauthier, a 56-year-old unmarried state politician representing the Duluth area. Gauthier's fellow Democrats are now calling on him to drop his reelection bid, even though a Republican win could endanger the chances of Democrats regaining the lower house of Minnesota's legislature.
"As I shared with Rep. Gauthier, I believe he should withdraw from the race for reelection," House minority leader Paul Thissen said in a statement.
Gauthier will not be charged with a crime, as the boy was over the age of consent. The politician has not spoken publicly about the incident but was recently hospitalized with an undisclosed illness.
- 60 Homoerotic Album Covers
- Lesbian Couple Allegedly Beaten After Kissing Outside Six Flags New England
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet