Minnesota Dems Turn Against Lawmaker Who Hooked Up With 17-Year-Old
BY Neal Broverman
August 20 2012 6:16 PM ET
Minnesota legislator Kerry Gauthier endangered his party's chances of regaining control of the state House after news broke that he had hooked up with a 17-year-old boy.
The two were introduced through Craigslist and met up at a rest stop last month. The teenager later told police he had oral sex with Gauthier, a 56-year-old unmarried state politician representing the Duluth area. Gauthier's fellow Democrats are now calling on him to drop his reelection bid, even though a Republican win could endanger the chances of Democrats regaining the lower house of Minnesota's legislature.
"As I shared with Rep. Gauthier, I believe he should withdraw from the race for reelection," House minority leader Paul Thissen said in a statement.
Gauthier will not be charged with a crime, as the boy was over the age of consent. The politician has not spoken publicly about the incident but was recently hospitalized with an undisclosed illness.
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 25 min 8 sec ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM