California: Conversion Therapy Ban Passes, Heads to Gov. Brown
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 6:02 PM ET
California lawmakers officially passed a bill to ban sexual orientation conversion therapy on minors, with Gov. Jerry Brown expected to sign the legislation.
The bill prevents licensed psychologists and therapists from attempting to change the sexual orientation of anyone under the age of 18. The American Psychological Association has condemned such therapies, and Alan Chambers, the leader of Exodus International, has backpedaled on the effectiveness of so-called reparative therapy. His organization previously had been a staunch proponent of such treatment.
Governor Brown has until September 30 to sign the bill, according to The Wall Street Journal.
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM