California: Conversion Therapy Ban Passes, Heads to Gov. Brown
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 7:02 PM ET
California lawmakers officially passed a bill to ban sexual orientation conversion therapy on minors, with Gov. Jerry Brown expected to sign the legislation.
The bill prevents licensed psychologists and therapists from attempting to change the sexual orientation of anyone under the age of 18. The American Psychological Association has condemned such therapies, and Alan Chambers, the leader of Exodus International, has backpedaled on the effectiveness of so-called reparative therapy. His organization previously had been a staunch proponent of such treatment.
Governor Brown has until September 30 to sign the bill, according to The Wall Street Journal.
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- WATCH: Australian Model Ruby Rose Comes Out as Gender Fluid
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- The Daily Show's Unforgettable Takedown of Andrew Shirvell
- Larry King Is Confused By Anna Paquin's 'Non-Practicing' Bisexuality
- Tyler Oakley Could Be The First Gay Person You Ever Met