State Department Warns LGBT Americans Traveling to Russia
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 10 2014 7:46 PM ET
The U.S. Department of State issued a travel alert Friday directed at American citizens planning to travel to Sochi, Russia, to participate in or attend the Winter Olympics and Paralympics, which begin next month.
Warning citizens that they should "remain attentive regarding their personal security at all times," the alert mentions the recent suicide bombings in the North Caucasus region and cites a video produced this summer by terrorist group Caucasus Emirate that threatens attacks on Olympic spectators or scheduled events in Sochi during the games.
Friday's alert also warns U.S. citizens to avoid large crowds or public demonstrations, noting that even those "intended to be peaceful can develop quickly and unpredictably, sometimes turning violent."
Notably, the alert includes an entire paragraph dedicated to LGBT visitors. Citing the nationwide ban on "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" to minors that became law last summer, the State Department explains its understanding that the law will be enforced and applies to Russian nationals as well as visitors.
"Russian citizens found guilty of violating the law could face a fine of up to 100,000 rubles ($3,100)," explains the alert. "Foreign citizens face similar fines, up to 14 days in jail, and deportation. The law makes it a crime to promote LGBT equality in public, but lacks concrete legal definitions for key terms. Russian authorities have indicated a broad interpretation of what constitutes 'LGBT propaganda,' and provided vague guidance as to which actions will be interpreted by authorities as 'LGBT propaganda.'"
The State Department directs LGBT travelers to its LGBT Travel Information page for additional info and suggests that all travelers register for the department's Safe Traveler Enrollment Program, which keeps subscribers informed of the latest updates and helps the State Department reach them during an emergency.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM