Santorum's Antigay Agenda Not a Hit With Catholics
BY Trudy Ring
April 10 2012 5:34 PM ET
As Rick Santorum suspends his presidential campaign, observers are noting that his antigay rhetoric was not a sure winner with his fellow Roman Catholics.
The pro-LGBT group Catholics for Equality issued a statement pointing out that exit polls in several key primary states indicated that “Catholic voters rejected his theocratic agenda, including his irrational obsession with stripping LGBT citizens of all legal recognition and protection. In most states Santorum was rejected by Catholics several percentage points more than he was rejected by the public at large.”
Santorum often received greater support from evangelical Protestants than from Catholics. In Ohio’s primary last month, for instance, Santorum won 31% of the Catholic vote and front-runner Mitt Romney 43%, according to a CNN exit poll. Among evangelicals, 47% cast their votes for Santorum, 30% for Romney. The state as a whole went narrowly for Romney over Santorum, 38% to 37%. In Michigan, CNN reported, 44% of Catholics went for Romney to 42% for Santorum, while 51% of evangelicals preferred Santorum and 35% voted for Romney. Romney took the state with 41% of the vote to Santorum’s 38%.
“American Catholics overwhelmingly support full legal equality for LGBT people,” said Catholics for Equality executive director Phil Attey. “And not even Republican Catholics share Santorum's belief that U.S. public policy should be dictated by the Vatican.” Find out more about Catholics for Equality here.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 58 min 40 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 36 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 40 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM