Poll: Most People Don't Care If Romney Was an Antigay Bully
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2012 11:06 AM ET
A new poll finds that most people by now have heard about Mitt Romney's past as an antigay bully and more than two-thirds aren't bothered one bit by it.
Ipsos asked poll respondents via the Internet about a Washington Post report that while Romney was in prep school, he led a "posse" of students who held down and forcibly cut the hair of a fellow high-schooler while the student cried, screamed and called for help.
Of those who had heard about the attack, Politico reports that 67% said the story doesn't affect their view of Romney one way or the other. For 28%, the story negatively affected their opinion, and 5% said it had a positive effect.
Romney doesn't deny the bullying happened. Instead he claims to not be able to remember it and laughs about the "pranks" he often pulled during school. Commentator Frank Rich said it's Romney's reaction that could worsen the polls to come.
"As many have said, what is fair game is his strange, chuckling denial of any knowledge of a fairly violent prank that other participants and eyewitnesses remember so vividly," Rich said in an interview in New York magazine. "If no other similar incidents turn up, that will be the end of it. How big an “if” that is, I don’t know. Much of Romney’s past remains a mystery to me, as it does to most Americans. Meanwhile Sondheim aficionados can savor a musical recounting of the bullying incident, 'Romney Mitt, the Demon Barber of Wall Street.'"
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM