Primary Win Puts Gay Candidate on Track for Congress
BY Julie Bolcer
August 15 2012 10:32 AM ET
Wisconsin state Rep. Mark Pocan won his Democratic primary Tuesday, making him the heavy favorite to succeed Tammy Baldwin as the next openly gay congressperson to represent the liberal Madison district in November.
The Isthmus Daily Page reports that Pocan, a member of the State Assembly since 1998, trounced his three opponents. Unofficial results listed him with 77% of the vote.
A small business owner, Pocan married his partner Philip Frank in Canada in 2006. He currently represents the state legislative district once represented by Baldwin, who will face former Governor Tommy Thompson in the Senate race.
Pocan’s mention of Baldwin at his election night party “received the loudest cheers in the room,” according to the Daily Page. The seven-term incumbent Democratic could become the first openly gay person elected to the Senate.
The Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund endorsed Pocan. President and CEO Chuck Wolfe commented on his win.
“Mark Pocan is an outstanding public servant who will be a strong and authentic voice for LGBT Americans in Congress,” he said. “It’s fitting that as Congresswoman Baldwin fights to win a historic victory in the Senate, Mark Pocan will follow in her footsteps as one of the most powerful voices for LGBT equality in America.”
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 13 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 24 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 47 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM