Tammy Baldwin and Tommy Thompson Go Head-to-Head in First Debate
BY Michelle Garcia
September 29 2012 2:13 PM ET
In the first debate in Wisconsin's U.S. Senate race, Rep. Tammy Baldwin took on former governor and Bush administration cabinet member Tommy Thompson, who painted her as extremely liberal and ineffective.
Thompson, referring to his governorship from 1987 to 2001, said, "We cut taxes. We changed welfare, giving people hope and opportunity. We built Wisconsin. … Even [Baldwin's] party doesn't pass her legislation because she's so far out of the mainstream."
Baldwin countered by saying she was a "voice for the people, not the powerful."
Following the debate, the Baldwin campaign issued a statement, accusing Thompson of being partial to clients of his lobbying firm, and representing "the politics of the past [which] offered voters the same angry name calling and finger-pointing that has come to define Washington."
According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the only thing Baldwin and Thompson seemed to agree on was to quickly pull American troops out of Afghanistan to end the war.
Recent polls have Thompson either tied with Baldwin, or trailing her. The New York Times' Nate Silver predicts that Baldwin has a 76% chance of winning the election.
The next debate is scheduled for October 18.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Photos: Cuba Libre
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 57 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 37 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM