A Most-Wanted List: Mayors Not for Marriage
BY Josh Hinkle
February 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Mayors for the Freedom to Marry, a project of Evan Wolfson's Freedom to Marry organization, asks city bosses to sign a pledge backing marriage equality. So far, 154 mayors have signed the pledge, with 25 coming from the top 50 most populous U.S. cities. But that means there are 25 big-city mayors who still haven't signed.
Among them are Mike Rawlings of Dallas, who angered many with the following explanation: "I'm a bit pledge-phobic. I think America has got too many pledges out there and I think it's simplistic and not substantive. I'm a mayor that wants to be substantive."
What do other mayors on the most-wanted list have to say for themselves? Click next for statements that The Advocate has gathered from some of the other major holdouts.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM