A Most-Wanted List: Mayors Not for Marriage
BY Josh Hinkle
February 23 2012 4:00 AM ET
Mayors for the Freedom to Marry, a project of Evan Wolfson's Freedom to Marry organization, asks city bosses to sign a pledge backing marriage equality. So far, 154 mayors have signed the pledge, with 25 coming from the top 50 most populous U.S. cities. But that means there are 25 big-city mayors who still haven't signed.
Among them are Mike Rawlings of Dallas, who angered many with the following explanation: "I'm a bit pledge-phobic. I think America has got too many pledges out there and I think it's simplistic and not substantive. I'm a mayor that wants to be substantive."
What do other mayors on the most-wanted list have to say for themselves? Click next for statements that The Advocate has gathered from some of the other major holdouts.
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Op-ed: What It's Like Being Trans In Military Academies
- 9 Catholics Who Need to Listen to the Pope
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM