A Most-Wanted List: Mayors Not for Marriage
BY Josh Hinkle
February 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Mayors for the Freedom to Marry, a project of Evan Wolfson's Freedom to Marry organization, asks city bosses to sign a pledge backing marriage equality. So far, 154 mayors have signed the pledge, with 25 coming from the top 50 most populous U.S. cities. But that means there are 25 big-city mayors who still haven't signed.
Among them are Mike Rawlings of Dallas, who angered many with the following explanation: "I'm a bit pledge-phobic. I think America has got too many pledges out there and I think it's simplistic and not substantive. I'm a mayor that wants to be substantive."
What do other mayors on the most-wanted list have to say for themselves? Click next for statements that The Advocate has gathered from some of the other major holdouts.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 44 min 42 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 48 min 27 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 1 hour 10 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 1 hour 13 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 2 hours 39 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5:39 PM
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM