Antigay Religious Rhetoric Marks Colo. Civil Unions Debate
BY Trudy Ring
April 27 2012 2:20 PM ET
The Colorado Senate passed a civil unions bill Thursday after a debate that saw opponents saying being gay is a choice and that the nation was established only for the “moral and religious.”
The legislation, Senate Bill 2, passed by a vote of 23-12, with support from all Democrats and three Republican women in the chamber, The Denver Post reports. All votes against it came from Republican men. It now goes to the House, where a similar measure died last year, and where Republicans hold a one-vote majority.
Some comments by Republican senators Scott Renfroe and Kevin Lundberg were captured on video and posted on YouTube. “I truly believe Jesus is a better answer than Senate Bill 2,” said Renfroe, who also said he believes the U.S. Constitution “was made only for a moral and religious people.” He asked his audience to follow Jesus and “vote no on Senate Bill 2.” Lundberg referred to gay people as “those who choose homosexuality over heterosexuality.”
The YouTube poster, going by the screen name “ExGaySurvivorDan,” wrote that Renfroe and Lundberg “are in no way representative of the people of Colorado” and that their rhetoric is “an embarrassment to the Senate and to my state.”
The Post quotes a different type of religious message from Democratic senator Mike Johnston, who cited God’s “unconditional love.” Sen. Morgan Carroll, another Democrat, relied on a secular argument, saying, “If you do not want or believe in a civil union, don’t get one, but, please, don’t hold back everybody else from having full legal equality.”
Watch the video below, and read the Post’s story here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 2 hours 36 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM