Divorce Becomes Legal in Maryland Before Marriage
BY Lucas Grindley
May 18 2012 1:18 PM ET
It's not yet legal to get married in Maryland, but an appeals court ruled today that same-sex couples can already get divorced.
Maryland's Court of Appeals ruled unanimously that any Marylander legally wed in another state can get divorced in their home state.
The case centers on Jessica Port and Virginia Cowan, who were married in California in 2008 during the brief period when it was legal. Two years later they sought a divorce in their home state of Maryland and were denied.
Maryland lawmakers took divorce into account when they approved marriage equality, and divorces of same-sex couples would have become legal anyway when the bill becomes law in January. But there was a chance the court's ruling could still be needed.
Opponents of marriage equality hope to use a ballot measure in November to repeal the law before it goes into effect. They're still gathering signatures to get the referendum approved.
Maryland has a long list of protections for LGBT citizens, but it had also previously decided marriage was between only a man and a woman. The court complained about the "mixed messages" being sent by laws.
"Putting aside for present purposes whatever may turn out to be the view of the Maryland electorate regarding recognition of the performance in Maryland of domestic same- sex marriages, the treatment given such relationships by the Maryland Legislature (until recently) may be characterized as a case of multiple personality disorder," the court wrote in its decision.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 1 hour 6 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM