Shocker: David Koch Supports Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
August 30 2012 7:56 PM ET
Billionaire businessman David Koch, who with his brother Howard is spending millions to elect Republican candidates, made a shocking statement today: He supports marriage equality.
This means Koch differs in a major way with the official platform the Republican Party adopted this week at its national convention. In an interview with Politico, he said, “I believe in gay marriage,” and he stated that he disagrees with the party platform.
In 1980 Koch was the vice-presidential candidate of the Libertarian Party, which is “socially liberal — but fiscally conservative,” as Politico notes. He considers himself a dedicated Republican now, however, despite his break with the party on some issues. He told Politico that in addition to favoring marriage equality, he departs from the Republican orthodoxy by believing it may be necessary to consider raising taxes and cutting defense spending to balance the federal budget.
Koch, a delegate to the convention from New York, spoke to Politico after a reception today in which he was honored by Americans for Prosperity, the political action group he chairs. In hopes of electing Mitt Romney as president and numerous Republicans to Congress, the group has bankrolled numerous ads attacking President Obama and Democratic congressional candidates.
Read the full story here.
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 2 hours 52 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM