WATCH: Washington Ads Highlight Faithful Support for Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 01 2012 4:08 PM ET
Washington United for Marriage, the coalition fighting to uphold marriage equality in the northwestern state, today released two new video ads highlighting support for marriage equality within faith communities.
The ads feature clergy members speaking out in support of marriage equality and highlighting the religious freedom protections included in Referendum 74, which will ask Washington voters to approve the same-sex marriage law signed into law by Gov. Christine Gregoire in February. Although the bill received bipartisan support, opponents gathered enough signatures to place the issue on the ballot in November's election.
"These ads remind Washingtonians of two important truths," said Washington United for Marriage campaign manager Zach Silk in a press release. "That our new law fully protects religious liberty, and that for many people embracing the fundamental value of the freedom to marry requires serious thought and reflection. We understand that journey and we hear about it every day as we talk to voters across the state."
The first ad features the Reverend Rich Lang of the University Temple Methodist Church in Seattle as he shares his intellectual journey to supporting marriage equality. Ultimately, he says, "It was compassion that broke in. My shift came when I realized that at the very core of my Christianity is the compassion God has shown for me."
The second ad features a collection of clergy preemptively clarifying that Washington's marriage equality law features explicit protections stating that no religious entity will be required to endorse or perform a same-sex marriage. But, the ad points out, the law also "protects the growing number of people of faith that do support marriage for all committed, loving couples, including same-sex couples."
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 59 min 24 sec ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 59 min 48 sec ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM