S.F. Federal Court Ordered to Pay for Gay Partner Benefits
BY Julie Bolcer
November 26 2012 1:00 PM ET
San Francisco’s federal court must pay for insurance coverage for an employee’s same-sex partner, according to a regional court council that cited rulings against the Defense of Marriage Act.
The Judicial Council of the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ordered the court to pay the insurance costs incurred by Christopher Nathan, a law clerk for U.S. Magistrate Maria Elena James, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Nathan had been turned down when he sought coverage for his husband, Thomas Alexander, in the government insurance plan because of DOMA. The 1996 law prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages.
“In April, Chief U.S. District Judge James Ware said the denial violated the federal court's rules against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender, and ordered the court to reimburse Nathan for the costs of buying private insurance,” reports the Chronicle. “The Judicial Council, the final authority in the administrative review process, went a step further in this week's order and said DOMA has been held unconstitutional by a San Francisco federal judge in another employee's case.”
The panel ordered the court to pay Nathan within 10 days. He said he will sue if the court refuses to reimburse him.
The Supreme Court will review a handful of challenges to DOMA later this week and announce whether it plans to hear any of the cases.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- The Gay Films of the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM