Supreme Court Stays Quiet on Marriage Cases
BY Julie Bolcer
December 03 2012 9:48 AM ET UPDATED: December 03 2012 1:22 PM ET
The Supreme Court once again failed to indicate its plans for multiple cases related to marriage equality, making this Friday the next potential day for an announcement.
The court released an order list Monday morning with no mention of any of the 10 petitions pertaining to marriage equality, according to SCOTUSblog. The nine justices met last Friday without issuing any orders on the marriage cases, which had prompted expectations of news today.
The justices will discuss the cases again in a private conference this Friday, according to the American Foundation for Equal Rights, which brought the case against the Proposition 8, the California marriage ban. Word of their decision could come soon after the meeting, or next Monday.
Most of the 10 cases before the court concern the Defense of Marriage Act, the 1996 law that prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages. Other cases pertain to Proposition 8 and an Arizona law denying domestic partner benefits to same-sex couples.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM