Supreme Court Stays Quiet on Marriage Cases
BY Julie Bolcer
December 03 2012 10:48 AM ET UPDATED: December 03 2012 2:22 PM ET
The Supreme Court once again failed to indicate its plans for multiple cases related to marriage equality, making this Friday the next potential day for an announcement.
The court released an order list Monday morning with no mention of any of the 10 petitions pertaining to marriage equality, according to SCOTUSblog. The nine justices met last Friday without issuing any orders on the marriage cases, which had prompted expectations of news today.
The justices will discuss the cases again in a private conference this Friday, according to the American Foundation for Equal Rights, which brought the case against the Proposition 8, the California marriage ban. Word of their decision could come soon after the meeting, or next Monday.
Most of the 10 cases before the court concern the Defense of Marriage Act, the 1996 law that prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages. Other cases pertain to Proposition 8 and an Arizona law denying domestic partner benefits to same-sex couples.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 12 min 37 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 21 min 23 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 10 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 42 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 47 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 48 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 10:58 AM