Washington: Marriage Opponents Take On Surrogacy
BY Michelle Garcia
December 19 2012 7:58 PM ET
Opponents to gay marriage in Washington state are launching another fight; this time to tamp down on gay couples' ability to have children.
An effort to introduce paid surrogacy is being considered in the legislature for 2013. The proposed law would overturn current policy that restricts compensation for surrogates only to the direct costs of pregnancy, delivery, and for legal bills.
However, those who led the failed fight to ban marriage equality with Referendum 74, are urging lawmakers to reject changes to surrogacy compensation. Joseph Backholm, executive director of the Family Policy Institute of Washington, which fought to pass Referendum 74, told MyNorthwest.com that broadening surrogacy would allow more gay couples to raise children.
"Introducing the profit motive into surrogacy entices women to do something for financial reasons that they would otherwise not do," he said in the report. He added, "Recognizing the dignity of the human person, we do not allow people to rent or sell their bodies or their body parts. This partially explains why prostitution and the sale of your kidney are illegal. You can donate a kidney, you just can't sell one."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 1 hour 45 sec ago
- Transgender Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 1 hour 56 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 hour 20 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 1 hour 48 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 2 hours 9 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 2 hours 12 min ago