WATCH: Binational Lesbian Moms in North Carolina Take on DOMA
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 06 2013 6:45 PM ET
In 2008, American schoolteacher Becky was leading a group of young adults on an alternative education expedition in northern India when she met Sanne, a Dutch student in the country on an art internship. The two women fell hard and fast for each other and by 2010 were married, while Becky was pregnant with the couple's daughter, Willow.
Now the couple has taken to the airwaves to share their story in the latest video from the DOMA Project, which fights to stop deportations, separations, and exiles of members of gay and lesbian binational couples.
Although Sanne's native Holland was the first country in the world to offer marriage equality to gay and lesbian families, the couple ultimately decided to return to Becky's home state of North Carolina to be closer to family and friends as they raised their daughter.
Why would a legally married lesbian couple leave a country where they enjoyed the same rights and benefits as straight couples for the U.S., where DOMA prohibits the federal government from recognizing their relationship? The DOMA Project explained in a blog post addressed to President Obama.
"For them, it was a no-brainer," reads the post. "First, they simply wanted to raise their daughter near the friends, family, and mountains they love. Plus, there was no way they were ever going to live overseas and wait for change to happen before following their hearts home. Rather, they were determined to be in the thick of the fight for equality, advocating for the kind of world any parent, gay or straight, would want to raise their child in — one characterized by respect and equal opportunity."
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: When Is the Right Time to Tell Your HIV Status on a Date?
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 55 min 5 sec ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM