WATCH: Binational Lesbian Moms in North Carolina Take on DOMA
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 06 2013 7:45 PM ET
In 2008, American schoolteacher Becky was leading a group of young adults on an alternative education expedition in northern India when she met Sanne, a Dutch student in the country on an art internship. The two women fell hard and fast for each other and by 2010 were married, while Becky was pregnant with the couple's daughter, Willow.
Now the couple has taken to the airwaves to share their story in the latest video from the DOMA Project, which fights to stop deportations, separations, and exiles of members of gay and lesbian binational couples.
Although Sanne's native Holland was the first country in the world to offer marriage equality to gay and lesbian families, the couple ultimately decided to return to Becky's home state of North Carolina to be closer to family and friends as they raised their daughter.
Why would a legally married lesbian couple leave a country where they enjoyed the same rights and benefits as straight couples for the U.S., where DOMA prohibits the federal government from recognizing their relationship? The DOMA Project explained in a blog post addressed to President Obama.
"For them, it was a no-brainer," reads the post. "First, they simply wanted to raise their daughter near the friends, family, and mountains they love. Plus, there was no way they were ever going to live overseas and wait for change to happen before following their hearts home. Rather, they were determined to be in the thick of the fight for equality, advocating for the kind of world any parent, gay or straight, would want to raise their child in — one characterized by respect and equal opportunity."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM