New Mexico Couples Sue for Equal Marriage Rights
BY Trudy Ring
March 22 2013 2:44 PM ET
Two same-sex couples in New Mexico filed suit Thursday seeking equal marriage rights for all such couples in the state.
Miriam Rand, 63, and Ona Porter, 66, of Albuquerque, and Rose Griego, 47, and Kim Kiel, 44, of Santa Fe, filed the suit in Bernalillo County District Court in Albuquerque after they were denied marriage licenses by the county clerk.
New Mexico is the only state in the country that does not either explicitly recognize same-sex relationships through marriage or civil unions or ban recognition of same-sex relationships by statute or constitutional amendment, notes a press release from the National Center for Lesbian Rights, one of the groups representing the couples. Others involved in the legal representation are the national American Civil Liberties Union, the ACLU of New Mexico, Albuquerque law firm Sutin, Thayer, and Browne, and local cooperating attorneys Maureen Sanders, Lynn Perls, and Kate Girard.
Earlier this week, Santa Fe’s mayor and other city officials said same-sex couples should be able to obtain marriage licenses in New Mexico, as the state’s marriage law is gender-neutral. However, county clerks expressed reluctance to issue the licenses, as the state attorney general stopped one clerk from doing so in 2004.
“The time has come for New Mexico to treat same-sex couples with the same dignity and respect we afford opposite-sex couples,” ACLU of New Mexico legal director Laura Schauer said in the press release.
“Marriage matters,” added Rose Griego. “Kim and I have already made a lifelong commitment to one another, but marriage says ‘family’ in a way that no other word can. It’s important to us that the State of New Mexico — our home, the place where we live, work, and raised our family — recognizes and respects our relationship.”
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 31 min 12 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 40 min 27 sec ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 1 hour 51 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2 hours 38 min ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2 hours 54 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 1:56 PM
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 1:53 PM