Delaware House to Vote on Same-Sex Marriage Bill
BY Jase Peeples
April 21 2013 1:51 PM ET
The Delaware House of Representatives is expected to vote Tuesday, April 23 on a bill that would grant same-sex couples the right to marry in the state.
State Rep. Melanie George Smith introduced the proposal, House Bill 75, on April 11, and is hopeful it will pass.
“I’m confident that we have a majority of Delaware representatives — so over 21 out of the 41 — that will do the right thing and vote to support equality in Delaware,” she told the Washington Blade.
State Rep. Mike Ramone, the only Republican co-sponsor of Delaware’s same-sex marriage bill, shares Representative Smith’s optimism and expressed concern over other members of his political party apposing marriage equality.
“I wish we had a Republican Party that focused more on how we can make the world better through fiscal responsibility,” he said in an interview with the Washington Blade on April 17. “And if there are social environments that aren’t hurting anyone else by their actual ability to participate in them on an equal basis, I don’t know that we should be involved in that.”
Tuesday’s vote is scheduled to happen less than one week after the House Administrative Committee voted 4-1 to send House Bill 75 to the full chamber.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Third Cleveland-Area Trans Woman Murdered in Past Year, Prompting Concern
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 43 min 12 sec ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 2 hours 12 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM