Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2013 2:01 PM ET
A florist who told her longtime gay customer that she couldn't provide flowers for his wedding is counter-suing the state of Washington — which says her decision was illegal discrimination.
The Associated Press reports that Barronelle Stutzman of Arlene's Flowers argues it's not her who is in the wrong, and it's actually the state that is violating her right to religious freedom.
Stutzman told the customer that her "relationship with Jesus Christ" prevented her from selling flowers for his wedding. Although marriage equality is newly legal in Washington, Stutzman is being sued by the state's attorney general because her actions may have violated the state's consumer anti-discrimination law.
Her case has become a cause célèbre for opponents of marriage equality, who have long claimed a right to discriminate based on their religious beliefs. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that Republicans in the Washington Senate have introduced a bill that would make it legal for business owners to discriminate against LGBT patrons.
The florist's lawyers reiterated that idea when talking about the lawsuit with the Seattle P-I:
“In America, the government is supposed to protect freedom, not use its intolerance for certain viewpoints to intimidate citizens into acting contrary to their faith convictions. Family business owners are constitutionally guaranteed the freedom to live and work according to their beliefs,” said Dale Schowengerdt, senior legal counsel for the Alliance Defending Freedom, which is defending Stutzman.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM