Most Americans Now Believe Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Inevitable'
BY Jase Peeples
June 06 2013 7:51 PM ET
As LGBT Americans await the U.S. Supreme Court’s rulings on the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8, nearly three quarters of Americans (72%) believe the legalization of same-sex marriage is “inevitable,” according to a new poll released by the Pew Research Center.
This includes the opinions of both 85% of supporters and 59% of those who oppose marriage equality.
The national survey was conducted May 1-5 among 1,504 people and found for the first time in the history of Pew Research polling that over half of Americans (51%) believe same-sex marriage should be legal.
However, Pew researchers note the issue is still a divisive one. Some 42% of those polled said they opposed marriage equality, and 45% believe homosexual acts are sinful, while an equal number does not.
Nevertheless, the new poll highlights a positive shift in public attitudes toward LGBT people over the past decade in several areas, including the fact that 60% of Americans now say homosexuality should be accepted rather than condemned, as compared to 31% in a 2003 poll.
See the full report of the Pew Research Center’s poll at PewResearch.org.
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM