Most Americans Now Believe Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Inevitable'
BY Jase Peeples
June 06 2013 8:51 PM ET
As LGBT Americans await the U.S. Supreme Court’s rulings on the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8, nearly three quarters of Americans (72%) believe the legalization of same-sex marriage is “inevitable,” according to a new poll released by the Pew Research Center.
This includes the opinions of both 85% of supporters and 59% of those who oppose marriage equality.
The national survey was conducted May 1-5 among 1,504 people and found for the first time in the history of Pew Research polling that over half of Americans (51%) believe same-sex marriage should be legal.
However, Pew researchers note the issue is still a divisive one. Some 42% of those polled said they opposed marriage equality, and 45% believe homosexual acts are sinful, while an equal number does not.
Nevertheless, the new poll highlights a positive shift in public attitudes toward LGBT people over the past decade in several areas, including the fact that 60% of Americans now say homosexuality should be accepted rather than condemned, as compared to 31% in a 2003 poll.
See the full report of the Pew Research Center’s poll at PewResearch.org.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM