George H.W. Bush Is Official Witness to Lesbian Wedding
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2013 7:01 PM ET
George H.W. Bush was the official witness in a same-sex wedding in Maine this weekend.
The former president and first lady attended the wedding of friends Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen, the owner of a general store in Kennebunk, Maine, ABC News reports. He then signed the marriage license as an official witness.
"This has been a wonderful wedding experience for us and we were honored to have President and Mrs. Bush not only in attendance but also happy to sign our license,” Thorgalsen said to ABC News.
Bush spokesman Jim McGrath did not confirm whether the Republican former president supports marriage equality, but he said the wedding was a "private ceremony for two friends."
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- The Advocate's 31 Favorite Films of Outfest 2015
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling