George H.W. Bush Is Official Witness to Lesbian Wedding
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2013 6:01 PM ET
George H.W. Bush was the official witness in a same-sex wedding in Maine this weekend.
The former president and first lady attended the wedding of friends Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen, the owner of a general store in Kennebunk, Maine, ABC News reports. He then signed the marriage license as an official witness.
"This has been a wonderful wedding experience for us and we were honored to have President and Mrs. Bush not only in attendance but also happy to sign our license,” Thorgalsen said to ABC News.
Bush spokesman Jim McGrath did not confirm whether the Republican former president supports marriage equality, but he said the wedding was a "private ceremony for two friends."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View