George H.W. Bush Is Official Witness to Lesbian Wedding
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2013 7:01 PM ET
George H.W. Bush was the official witness in a same-sex wedding in Maine this weekend.
The former president and first lady attended the wedding of friends Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen, the owner of a general store in Kennebunk, Maine, ABC News reports. He then signed the marriage license as an official witness.
"This has been a wonderful wedding experience for us and we were honored to have President and Mrs. Bush not only in attendance but also happy to sign our license,” Thorgalsen said to ABC News.
Bush spokesman Jim McGrath did not confirm whether the Republican former president supports marriage equality, but he said the wedding was a "private ceremony for two friends."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Op-ed: Think Before You Tweet 'Homophobe'