George H.W. Bush Is Official Witness to Lesbian Wedding
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2013 7:01 PM ET
George H.W. Bush was the official witness in a same-sex wedding in Maine this weekend.
The former president and first lady attended the wedding of friends Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen, the owner of a general store in Kennebunk, Maine, ABC News reports. He then signed the marriage license as an official witness.
"This has been a wonderful wedding experience for us and we were honored to have President and Mrs. Bush not only in attendance but also happy to sign our license,” Thorgalsen said to ABC News.
Bush spokesman Jim McGrath did not confirm whether the Republican former president supports marriage equality, but he said the wedding was a "private ceremony for two friends."
- Op-ed: The Fine Line Between Gay Pride and Alcoholism
- Hot Sheet: Steaming Hot Outfest
- WATCH: Fox News Discovers Viewers Not as Transphobic as Hosts
- Department of Education Offers Antitrans University a 'Religious Exemption'
- Chicago DJ Responds to Critics of Transphobic Slur Referring to Laverne Cox
- Op-ed: Orange Is the New Black Proves to Be the Model of Queer TV