First Gay Couple Issued Marriage License in Minnesota
BY Jase Peeples
June 06 2013 11:50 AM ET
Same-sex couples began lining up early at government offices around Minnesota today as applications for same-sex marriage in the state began being accepted for the first time, reports Minnesota Public Radio.
Al Giraud and Jeff Isaacson, who have been together for 11 years, were the first to receive a license at the Hennepin County Government Service Center in Minneapolis.
"We've been waiting a long time, so we wanted to be first in line," Giraud told MPR. "Its a historic day, so we wanted to be here."
Though Minnesota’s same-sex marriage law won’t take effect until August 1, Hennepin, Ramsey, and Washington counties have begun taking early applications and issuing couples postdated marriage licenses.
Giraud and Isaacson say they plan to be among the first same-sex couples married that day and they’re relieved equality has arrived in their state.
"It's the commitment between the two of us, and the fact that it not only is going to be recognized by our friends and family, it's now going to be recognized by the state," said Isaacson. "We won't have to fight for any of the same rights that married couples currently have."
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM