Same-Sex Couples Begin Marrying in Uruguay
BY Jase Peeples
August 25 2013 1:35 PM ET
With the 90-day waiting period since President Jose Mujica signed marriage equality into law now over, marriages for same-sex couples began taking place in Uruguay on Friday, reports Blabbeando.
However, none of the happy newlyweds who tied the knot that day could claim they were the first same-sex couple to say “I do” in the South American country. That honor went to a couple who was able to forego the required waiting period and was legally wed on August 5 because one of the men was dying of cancer. However, the couple was not named because they wished to remain anonymous.
Addionally, Uruguay recognized the marriage of Omar Salsamendi and Federico Macerattini, who had wed last year in Argentina, on August 19.
Nevertheless, one of the most heartwarming stories of the day belonged to Ruben Lopez and Mario Bonilla who were finally able to make their union legal after being together 21 years. The occasion was made even more memorable because the couple was also able to register as the joint parents for their son Camilo, whom they adopted 17 years ago, for the first time.
See clips from the couple’s moving ceremony in the video below.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 15 min 53 sec ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 25 min 10 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 1 hour 29 min ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 2 hours 2 min ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 2 hours 22 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM