New York Times Writer Dudley Clendinen Passes Away
BY Neal Broverman
June 02 2012 6:16 PM ET
Dudley Clendinen, a gay newspaper editor, book author, and cultural critic, passed away on Wednesday in Baltimore at the age of 67.
Clendinen was born into a Florida newspaper family and eventually edited newspapers including The Tampa Tribune and The St. Petersburg Times. Clendinen interests were broad, stretching from homeless issues to the evolution of the South. He would move on to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Baltimore Sun, and The New York Times.
Clendinen also wrote extensively about gay life, including the horrors of AIDS in the 1980s and '90s.
"You'd have dinner with a friend, or got to bed with someone you'd met, and next you knew, they were dead," the writer recalled in The New York Times in 2003.
Clendinen was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, which he nicknamed "Lou," and turned his writing toward death, and how to die properly.
"We obsess in this country about how to eat and dress and drink, about finding a job and a mate," he wrote last year in The New York Times. "About having sex and children. About how to live. But we don't talk about how to die."
Clendinen is survived by a sister and a daughter he fathered before coming out. Read more about Clendinen here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM