Conservatives Target New Washington Post Owner
BY Michelle Garcia
August 07 2013 4:56 PM ET
Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos has become the target of conservative ire as the marriage equality supporter bought The Washington Post this week for $250 million.
Bezos and his wife MacKenzie donated $2.5 million last year in support of winning the marriage equality campaign in his home state of Washington. The initiative to approve Referendum 74 won with 53.7% of the vote.
According to Media Matters, the National Organization for Marriage quickly cautioned readers that the Post would "get a whole lot more one-sided about" the debate over marriage equality. Fox News columnist Dan Gainor said Bezos's support for marriage equality was "bad news." Meanwhile, David Harsanyi of Human Events and Noel Sheppard of News Busers, both conservative news sites, warned readers that those whose politics lean toward the right would not be pleased that the family-owned publication would likely not take a conservative turn under a highly anticipated new owner.
Bezos, is seen as somewhat of a libertarian, with a lean toward donating to Democrats like Sen. Patty Murray. However Amazon's political action committee has donated almost evenly between members of both parties, including moderate Republicans like Meg Whitman during her bid for governor of California.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Joe Rogan Has Gay Locker Room Stalker
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM