Gay Soldier Killed In Combat Helped Marriage Fight
BY Michelle Garcia
May 28 2013 3:31 PM ET
The parents of Minnesota's first known openly gar soldier to die in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan said campaigning for marriage equality in their home state has helped them deal with the death of their son.
The Wilfahrts spent Memorial Day reflecting on the death of their son Andrew, a 31-year-old Corporal who was killed while serving in Afghanistan in February 2011. This was the first Memorial Day since Minnesota established legal marriage equality, a right that their son will not be able to enjoy.
"We were talking about the other kids in the family getting married and he said, 'I'll never be able to get married,'" his mother Lori Wilfhart said to KARE News. "So that was 10 years ago. And today, he could."
The Wilfharts campaigned on Andrew's behalf to legalize marriage equality in Minnesota, which was approved earlier this month, and will go into effect August 1.
"If his taxes were good enough, if his blood was good enough, were his rights good enough and I think that's a question that has now been answered," Jeff Wilfahrt said.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM