Gay Man Named Head Chaplain of Canadian Military
BY Daniel Reynolds
September 17 2013 4:09 PM ET
A gay man has been named as the head chaplain of the Canadian military.
Brig. Gen. John Fletcher, an Anglican priest who has served in his country's military for 33 years, was recently appointed Chaplain General of the Canadian Armed Forces, reports the Toronto Star.
Fletcher, 51, told the Canadian publication that he may be the first gay man to hold this office in the Canadian military, which, according to an official, “does not keep track of the sexual orientation” of its members.
The Ottawa-based chaplain, who has a partner of 16 years, recognized that some may find his appointment divisive, but found it to be evidence of the progress of CAF, which lifted its restrictions on gay and lesbian service members in 1992.
“I equally understand that some people will be excited and encouraged by the openness of my own church, to allow me to exercise this ministry and certainly encouraged that I’m free to work within a Canadian military that simply doesn’t discriminate on ... these things,” said Fletcher, who came out 20 years ago, after the military ban was removed.
He added that Canadians should “continue to look at the barriers that might be elsewhere that are keeping people from pursuing vocations they are qualified, or feeling called to go and do.”
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM