Sims Wins Primary, On Track to Become Pennsylvania's 1st Openly Gay Legislator
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 25 2012 8:41 AM ET
Brian Sims, an Advocate 40 Under 40 honoree and former executive director of Equality Pennsylvania, will likely become the state’s first openly gay legislator.
The 33-year-old Democrat claimed victory Tuesday in the primary race for the state’s District 182, which covers Philadelphia’s Center City and South Philadelphia neighborhoods. The Associated Press also called the race for Sims over longtime Democratic incumbent Babette Josephs. Sims will face no major Republican opposition in the November election, all but ensuring his election.
"We were the second largest state to never elect an openly gay legislator," Sims said at an election night event, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. "I'm excited to get to work."
Chuck Wolfe, president and CEO of the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund, said of Sims’ win, “LGBT Pennsylvanians will finally have a voice in their state legislature, and what a strong and unyielding voice it will be. We are thrilled for Brian, who ran a remarkable campaign.” (Sims was a Victory Fund endorsee; read more at Gay Politics.)
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 10 min 38 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 56 min 51 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians 1 hour 24 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 3:57 PM
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 3:50 PM