Sims Wins Primary, On Track to Become Pennsylvania's 1st Openly Gay Legislator
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 25 2012 9:41 AM ET
Brian Sims, an Advocate 40 Under 40 honoree and former executive director of Equality Pennsylvania, will likely become the state’s first openly gay legislator.
The 33-year-old Democrat claimed victory Tuesday in the primary race for the state’s District 182, which covers Philadelphia’s Center City and South Philadelphia neighborhoods. The Associated Press also called the race for Sims over longtime Democratic incumbent Babette Josephs. Sims will face no major Republican opposition in the November election, all but ensuring his election.
"We were the second largest state to never elect an openly gay legislator," Sims said at an election night event, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. "I'm excited to get to work."
Chuck Wolfe, president and CEO of the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund, said of Sims’ win, “LGBT Pennsylvanians will finally have a voice in their state legislature, and what a strong and unyielding voice it will be. We are thrilled for Brian, who ran a remarkable campaign.” (Sims was a Victory Fund endorsee; read more at Gay Politics.)
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 40 min 59 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 19 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 36 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 54 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 56 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM