Sims Wins Primary, On Track to Become Pennsylvania's 1st Openly Gay Legislator
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 25 2012 9:41 AM ET
Brian Sims, an Advocate 40 Under 40 honoree and former executive director of Equality Pennsylvania, will likely become the state’s first openly gay legislator.
The 33-year-old Democrat claimed victory Tuesday in the primary race for the state’s District 182, which covers Philadelphia’s Center City and South Philadelphia neighborhoods. The Associated Press also called the race for Sims over longtime Democratic incumbent Babette Josephs. Sims will face no major Republican opposition in the November election, all but ensuring his election.
"We were the second largest state to never elect an openly gay legislator," Sims said at an election night event, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. "I'm excited to get to work."
Chuck Wolfe, president and CEO of the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund, said of Sims’ win, “LGBT Pennsylvanians will finally have a voice in their state legislature, and what a strong and unyielding voice it will be. We are thrilled for Brian, who ran a remarkable campaign.” (Sims was a Victory Fund endorsee; read more at Gay Politics.)
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 49 min 50 sec ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 52 min 55 sec ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 1 hour 19 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 1 hour 22 min ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 1 hour 25 min ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 1 hour 27 min ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 2 hours 23 min ago