Antigay (and Ex-Gay) Mayoral Candidate Drops From Race
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 19 2012 6:12 PM ET
Dara McDowell, a candidate for mayor of Covington, Kentucky and an ex-gay mother of eight, whose platform including fighting the "homosexual agenda," has dropped out of the race May 15, reports website Back2Stonewall.
McDowell's decision to end her campaign follows a public outcry after the 43-year-old gave an interview to the River City News, in which she stated, “I’m concerned about leaving behind a town for my children, for all children, that is pro-homosexual agenda. (Homosexuality) is a choice, I think it’s important to respect choices, but to promote it? I see the undercurrent of that (in Covington).”
McDowell also stated her plan to oppose gay pride festivals in the city, which has held such an event the past two years. “I see what happens at gay pride parades and I don’t want them in my town,” she said.
Covington residents quickly expressed their opposition to her comments on the paper's Facebook page. Following a heated online debate and a Monday-night conversation with her husband, McDowell decided to exit the city's mayoral race.
“I realize that I am being biased, I can see that in myself and I do want to be that way. I do need to come to terms with that myself and I recognize that,” McDowell said about her decision. “For me, I do want to advance the city economically and I do feel like I have some good ideas, some very good ideas because Covington is such an untapped resource. I do feel like I had a vision for the city, but the moral issue held me back. I am deficient in that area and I do need to work on that but I’m not ready to yet.”
McDowell intends to further her studies on the issue of homosexuality by reading her Bible more, asking God for insights, and talking with pastors and other Christians.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 1 hour 29 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM