Antigay (and Ex-Gay) Mayoral Candidate Drops From Race
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 19 2012 6:12 PM ET
Dara McDowell, a candidate for mayor of Covington, Kentucky and an ex-gay mother of eight, whose platform including fighting the "homosexual agenda," has dropped out of the race May 15, reports website Back2Stonewall.
McDowell's decision to end her campaign follows a public outcry after the 43-year-old gave an interview to the River City News, in which she stated, “I’m concerned about leaving behind a town for my children, for all children, that is pro-homosexual agenda. (Homosexuality) is a choice, I think it’s important to respect choices, but to promote it? I see the undercurrent of that (in Covington).”
McDowell also stated her plan to oppose gay pride festivals in the city, which has held such an event the past two years. “I see what happens at gay pride parades and I don’t want them in my town,” she said.
Covington residents quickly expressed their opposition to her comments on the paper's Facebook page. Following a heated online debate and a Monday-night conversation with her husband, McDowell decided to exit the city's mayoral race.
“I realize that I am being biased, I can see that in myself and I do want to be that way. I do need to come to terms with that myself and I recognize that,” McDowell said about her decision. “For me, I do want to advance the city economically and I do feel like I have some good ideas, some very good ideas because Covington is such an untapped resource. I do feel like I had a vision for the city, but the moral issue held me back. I am deficient in that area and I do need to work on that but I’m not ready to yet.”
McDowell intends to further her studies on the issue of homosexuality by reading her Bible more, asking God for insights, and talking with pastors and other Christians.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 18 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 34 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 50 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 8 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 10 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM