The Next Mass. Senator Isn’t Barney Frank
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 30 2013 4:24 PM ET
After weeks of speculation that Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick might appoint former congressman Barney Frank to the Senate seat vacated by John Kerry, who has just been confirmed as the new secretary of State, Patrick appointed William "Mo" Cowan to the seat on an interim basis. A special election for the seat will be held in June.
According to The Huffington Post, Patrick, Cowan, and the Lt. Governor, Tim Murray, were chummy and jocular at this morning's news conference.
"He's cool," Murray said of Cowan. "Tom Brady, George Clooney, James Bond, the president have nothing on Mo."
"It was a private fact, but now known publicly thanks to the lieutenant governor, that he also brought cool," Patrick added.
HuffPo reports that the 43-year-old Cowan, the former chief of staff and former legal counsel to Patrick, grew up in rural poverty in North Carolina and went to Duke University and Northeastern University School of Law before becoming a prominent Boston lawyer. His appointment makes it the first time in American history that two black senators will serve at the same time.
According to Luke Johnson, Patrick did not pick Frank because he was turned off by Frank's public campaign for the position.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 2 hours 23 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM