Marco Rubio Swears He's Not a Bigot
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 15 2013 11:29 AM ET
At Republicans gathered for the influential annual Conservative Political Action Conference (generally known as CPAC), Florida Senator Marco Rubio, the recently annointed Cuban-American golden boy of the G.O.P., told the audience of activists around him, “We don’t need any new ideas. The idea is called America, and it still works.” According to the New York Times, that wasn't the only thing said at the meeting that will raise a few LGBT eyebrows.
Jim Rutenberg reported that Rubio defended his party's hardline response on nearly all things gay, saying that “just because I believe states should have the right to define marriage in a traditional way does not make me a bigot.”
The group gathered to talk presidential elections in 2016 and evaluate policy direction within the Republican party. According to Rutenberg, two Republican governors were not invited this year, including New Jersey's Chris Christie, who he says, "who drew conservative ire for embracing Mr. Obama after Hurricane Sandy…"
“Ask the Facebook generation whether we should put a kid in jail for the nonviolent crime of drug use and you’ll hear a resounding ‘No,’ ” Paul said, according to Rutenberg.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM