How Much Does a Seat at the Supreme Court Cost?
BY Michelle Garcia
March 26 2013 2:27 PM ET
Some of the people sitting with a front-row seat to history as the Supreme Court hears arguments regarding marriage equality this week may have paid as much as $6,000 for their spot.
Tickets to the Supreme Court are technically free, according to the Associated Press. However, some who wanted to avoid waiting in line or even camping out for days in Washington's wintery weather for a seat, were able to pay other people to wait in line for them.
For the more controversial cases, onlookers queue for tickets about a day in advance. For the hearings on Proposition 8, and the Defense of Marriage Act, some people were camped out a week in advance. Companies like linestanding.com are charging between $36-$50 per hour, making a five-day wait cost $6,000.
The courtroom only seats about 500, people, but seats are reserved mainly for court staff, journalists, guests, of the justices, and lawyers arguing for the case, as well as attorneys who are members of the Supreme Court bar. That leaves about 60 seats for the general public, and an additional 30 rotating seats to watch 3-5 minute segments of the arguments.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM