How Much Does a Seat at the Supreme Court Cost?
BY Michelle Garcia
March 26 2013 3:27 PM ET
Some of the people sitting with a front-row seat to history as the Supreme Court hears arguments regarding marriage equality this week may have paid as much as $6,000 for their spot.
Tickets to the Supreme Court are technically free, according to the Associated Press. However, some who wanted to avoid waiting in line or even camping out for days in Washington's wintery weather for a seat, were able to pay other people to wait in line for them.
For the more controversial cases, onlookers queue for tickets about a day in advance. For the hearings on Proposition 8, and the Defense of Marriage Act, some people were camped out a week in advance. Companies like linestanding.com are charging between $36-$50 per hour, making a five-day wait cost $6,000.
The courtroom only seats about 500, people, but seats are reserved mainly for court staff, journalists, guests, of the justices, and lawyers arguing for the case, as well as attorneys who are members of the Supreme Court bar. That leaves about 60 seats for the general public, and an additional 30 rotating seats to watch 3-5 minute segments of the arguments.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 1 hour 54 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 2 hours 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM