Pat Robertson Has a Strange Deal for Gay People
BY Lucas Grindley
August 10 2012 5:53 PM ET
Preacher Pat Robertson offered to "change everything I'm saying" about homosexuality and morality — but he included a strange catch.
"I defy these homosexuals to bring forth a baby from that part of the anatomy which they concentrate on," he said on his television show, the 700 Club, according to video posted by Right Wing Watch. "When that happens, I will change everything I’m saying. Until that happens, I wish those demonstrators would shut their mouth."
Robertson made the statement during a rant about Chick-fil-A. He's especially annoyed with activists who don't want the fast-food chain on university campuses.
Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy has called marriage equality "twisted" and his company has so far donated about $5 million to antigay groups and causes, including those that try to turn people from gay to straight. The chain is a popular fixture in college food courts, but even before Cathy's public comments, activists succeeded in stopping it from coming to Northeastern University in Boston and had made similar attempts elsewhere.
Robertson cited the Old Testament to make his case for silencing gays and said homosexuality is "an abomination," just like human sacrifice.
"I was reading today in Leviticus, which is the law of the Old Testament, but it lays out the reasons why land will vomit out its inhabitants and it goes through a category of stuff that we are calling Constitutional rights, you know: killing babies, offering them to Moloch, and it says it is an abomination for a man to lie with a man as with a woman. It’s what it says," Robertson said to a co-anchor. "That is the moral law that God set forth and now we’ve got people at a university petitioning because somebody says I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 2 hours 32 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 2 hours 36 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth May 21 2013 6:34 PM