Inaugural Prayer Service Includes First Out Gay Clergy Member
BY Trudy Ring
January 22 2013 6:57 PM ET
The LGBT-inclusive nature of President Obama’s inauguration festivities carried over into today’s Presidential Inaugural Prayer Service at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., with the first participation by an openly gay clergy member.
The Reverend Elder Nancy L. Wilson, moderator of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches, a largely LGBT denomination, gave the first reading of Scripture, a passage from the book of Isaiah, at this morning’s event. She was one of a diverse group of interfaith clergy to participate in the service, which was attended by President Obama and Vice President Biden.
In a blog post she wrote for the pro-LGBT interfaith group Believe Out Loud before the event, Wilson said she expected to be “exalting” at the service. “This exaltation is not for myself but for the millions of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people who have longed for a safe place to call home,” she wrote. “Whether spiritual or physical, we need safe homes.” In a statement released through GLAAD, she added, “President Obama prayerfully and respectfully stood up for LGBT equality during his campaign, and I am proud to stand with him.”
This was the 57th inaugural prayer service, and officials with the National Cathedral confirmed that Wilson was the first openly gay clergy member to participate. Video of the entire service is available at the National Cathedral’s website; it can be viewed with Microsoft Silverlight or Windows Media Player.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM