Catholic Bishops Oppose Discrimination, Oppose ENDA Too
BY Trudy Ring
November 06 2013 8:28 PM ET
The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops opposes “unjust discrimination,” but it also opposes the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, according to a letter the group sent to the U.S. Senate.
The conference, which speaks for the Roman Catholic Church on public policy matters, sent the letter last week, saying ENDA “rejects the biological basis of gender,” “threatens religious liberty,” affirms and supports sex outside marriage, and could be used to support same-sex marriage rights — many of the typical complaints about LGBT-inclusive antidiscrimination laws.
The conference also objects to ENDA’s lack of a “bona fide occupational qualification” exemption, which it says is necessary “for those cases where it is neither unjust nor inappropriate to consider an applicant’s sexual inclination.”
The letter was signed by Bishop Stephen Blaire of Stockton, Calif., Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone of San Francisco, and Archbishop William Lori of Baltimore, all of whom chair conference committees or subcommittees. It can be viewed on the conference’s website.
ENDA would prohibit job discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. The Senate took a cloture vote Monday to prevent a filibuster on the bill, and it is likely to vote Thursday on whether to pass the measure. The Senate will probably approve ENDA, but there is more opposition to the measure in the House of Representatives.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM