Film Festival Seeks Conversation on LGBT Issues in Evangelical Church
BY Michael O'Loughlin
February 25 2014 3:36 PM ET
Two evangelical Christians hope the power of film will start a conversation around LGBT issues in evangelical churches, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Chelsea McInturff and Samantha Curley have raised $40,000 to launch the Level Ground film festival, which bills itself as filling "an important niche in both the film festival circuit and the wider national dialogue around faith, sexuality, and gender."
The film festival is the result of efforts by students at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, the world's largest evangelical seminary, who founded an LGBT rights student organization and used film to start conversations about LGBT issues on campus. McInturff, who identifies as gay, and Curley, a straight ally, then decided to expand the conversations, and they hope the festival will "be among the world’s leading LGBT, independent film, and art house festivals," notes Level Ground's website.
"There's been so much polarization, so much anger," Curley told the Times. "A lot of us are looking for a way to move beyond the pain this issue has caused. We hope to find a way to reconcile and find common ground without judgment."
Last year the student group held a five-film festival, and its success paved the way for this year's much larger one. Films are accompanied by panels of artists, researchers, and theologians as well as various art exhibits and discussion sessions.
"We believe there is a more sustainable, gentler way to speak across our diferences," McInturff and Curley said in a press release. "Out of this belief we created Level Ground as a national organization to host this new kind of dialogue. Level Ground is a space that is only safe as we each risk submitting our comforts, fears, vulnerabilities, and assumptions to one another. This is not always a convenient, or even comfortable way of communicating. Coming to level ground means learning to disagree with a better rhetoric that maintains relationship over ideology,"
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 1 hour 8 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM