Religious Support for Marriage Equality Marches Forward
BY Trudy Ring
September 04 2014 5:00 AM ET
— Metro. Comm. Church (@MCCchurch) February 1, 2014
Metropolitan Community Churches
Of course, if you’re looking for an LGBT-friendly church, the Metropolitan Community Churches make it easy. The MCC is the first denomination established specifically to minister to LGBT people in an affirming fashion. Founder Troy Perry had been defrocked by a Pentecostal church for homosexuality in the 1960s, and in 1968 he hosted the first MCC service in his living room in a suburb of Los Angeles. The church now has 43,000 members and adherents in almost 300 congregations in 22 countries, and it remains a leader in the fight for LGBT equality.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: StoryCorps Founder Discuss Gay Dad in Inspiring TED Talk
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?