Religious Support for Marriage Equality Marches Forward
BY Trudy Ring
September 04 2014 5:00 AM ET
— Metro. Comm. Church (@MCCchurch) February 1, 2014
Metropolitan Community Churches
Of course, if you’re looking for an LGBT-friendly church, the Metropolitan Community Churches make it easy. The MCC is the first denomination established specifically to minister to LGBT people in an affirming fashion. Founder Troy Perry had been defrocked by a Pentecostal church for homosexuality in the 1960s, and in 1968 he hosted the first MCC service in his living room in a suburb of Los Angeles. The church now has 43,000 members and adherents in almost 300 congregations in 22 countries, and it remains a leader in the fight for LGBT equality.
- BREAKING: Federal Judge Upholds Puerto Rico Marriage Ban
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- WATCH: CNN's Cooper, Lemon Explore Their Roots in Special Program
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'